Monday, July 7, 2014

The Silence of the Victims

“Nothing strengthens authority so much as silence.”
― Leonardo da Vinci 

When everyone who has studied environmental conflicts or victimology might describe this situation I’m trying to explain as ‘common’ – I take the liberty to tell this story from the point of view of mid-class city people who normally can speak boldly to anyone they think annoying their basic rights. It's fine for me to criticize my scholarship, my university, my parents, my employers, when I am equipped with proper argument on my side. And for me, speak what I think is common. Speaking the truth is common. And this is my common sense – as well as everyone else as you can see on people’s blog or opinion or social media.

But some days ago, I recognize that our common sense is not always common. Particularly, not to this people who have been fighting for their homeland; and their clean water and their clean air for decades.


Asahan River at Siruar Village, Toba Samosir

I visited Siruar, a village right at Toba Pulp Lestari’s liquid waste outfall (dumping point) at Asahan River – the place where fight against the gigantic industry has been recorded since early 80s. My goal is to get 50 respondents for my questionnaire, for a research purpose. But it is not only the power of the company that scares me. It is the silence of the people, that they are unwilling to tell their stories and keep it behind their own walls.

“Some month ago, one of the securities of TPL got interviewed by a researcher. Another TPL labor recorded it and gave the video to TPL management. That security who got interviewed was fired some days after,” one of my responded expressed his fears while he’s filling my questionnaire. With fake smile, I comforted him that this is merely for academic purpose and his identity will remain undisclosed. I condemn the company conduct in my head.

Dead fishes were strange. Now, people no longer question it.

The people in Siruar and Porsea have been in the heart of the Toba Pulp Lestari conflict in its prior operation, when the company is still known as Indorayon Inti Utama. The protest begun in 1988, when the persistent victims, who were very strong and solid within the Batak Toba identity, continued to struggled over 2 decades from the soft diplomacy backed by academics and politicians, to the mass and bleeding chaos that takes innocent souls. In this conflict, Professors and Doctors from universities come back to the street, to the indigenous people who lack academic back-ups compared to the huge company. Even mothers and children took part, and one of the most controversial nude protests in Indonesia held by Batak mothers occurred in the late 90s, hottest period of this enduring fight. Even when the legal efforts failed, it has left a strong legacy – the first recognized NGO legal standing in Indonesia was made during the IIU lawsuit conducted by WALHI. Sweet taste of temporary success only lasted a while when IIU operation is closed for by the central government. In Megawati era, the mill began operating again under new paradigm, with the name that those people recognize today with the same power of “you know who” – TPL.

“No one in this village will be willing to speak if you ask them question about TPL. Because we already know what the public officials in the sub-district will do. I will not speak either,” a former activist told me.

After more than 20 years, people at the closest proximity to the mill have finally silenced.

And this silence is scarier for me than the elaboration of the silence of nature that Rachel Carson documented in her monumental Silent Spring. This is the silence of the most distinguished creature on earth who has been gifted with reason, free will, intelligence and conscience. This is the silence of the long-lasting fight who have eventually been forced to give up. This is the silence for money, of the scary trade between sacrificing basic rights and the capitalistic point of necessary growth. This is the silence within the trauma from the entity that should’ve been protecting those individuals, but abusing their power.

And like the sub-disctrict secretary mentioned to us with confidence, “We can’t let just anyone in, even for academic purpose. I don’t dare to let those who wants to take the data regarding environment, or pollution, or anything that can annoy the company. The higher authority will scold. No, it will never be allowed,”

By writing this, I am fully aware that I am exposing myself to libel lawsuit that the company might threatening me with. And that’s the price that I have to pay, in this so-called free and democratic country, to speak of some truth. I’m just hoping this writing will reach out to you, but not to the company, so the people at the village will stay safe. Beware, this is not the authoritarian regime anymore. This is the regime of the capital.

Further readings:

PS. Too bad I can't upload more photos of people for safety reason.

No comments: