Thursday, August 2, 2012

SEA Trip: Nha Trang, Vietnam


CAUTIONS: This post does not contain any practical information. All is unimportant stuff filled with subjective judgment. Do not continue reading if you're currently doing research for your trip. Read this if you miss me ;)
 
Day 3: August 2, 2012
I was really pissed off today. Now I’m violently happy. So, let me introduce you to Nha Trang.
This city is never been in my itinerary. It supposed to be only for a 12-hours transit before Hoi An and Hue. But, the ticket seller gave me an open ticket, causing me couldn’t get any seat to Hoi An while I arrived at Nha Trang in the morning, turned to be full booked already. I still insisted to wait until evening, and while waiting I found that this city is not really something, but ummm, you can make everything looks charming, aren’t you?
I have a really high standard for beach, so this charming beach surrounded with mountain, which is objectively not really beautiful, does not really make me turn wild with happiness. Nha Trang has four mountainous islands across the beach, making its sunrise magnificent with the mist around the silhouette of the islands. The city’s also a nice appeal, filled with noodle stalls, touristic cafĂ©, dive centers, cheap yet clean guesthouses, all is sufficient. I rented a bike today and spent my days riding: it was a horrible ride considering the crazy drivers and chaotic traffic seems like to be anywhere in Vietnam, even in this charming little city. And since bicycle does not have mirror to watch your back, I was quite afraid that any barbaric driver would hit my back. Really, I swear it is scary yet tough experience, now I can argue that my driving ability has elevated at certain point. Haha.

Nha Trang Beach

You cross to the islands right from Nha Trang Beach
The only sightseeing I visited was National Oceanography Museum, about 6km ride from the center, but turned to be average, non-impressive museum. However I appreciate the work they do there, collecting and maintaining thousands of species definitely not an easy task. After that, I tried to see the pagoda, but the road was complicated and the riding was scary, so I just went back to the beach. I tried to find Lanterns restaurant too, a Lonely Planet pick, but unable to find it either. Finally, I bought a street sandwich filled with roasted pork (20.000 D, delicious!) and fresh mixed juice (20.000 D). In the morning I tried Pho 24, a noodle franchise which could be found in Vietnam’s big cities or touristic areas, a nice bowl of beef noodle with average price (39.000 D)

National Oceanographic Museum of Nha Trang. Err, to be honest, I prefer Sea World

Traveler's happy meal: Crocodile with Five Spice!

And, they have hedgehog, civet cat, snakes, etc. Nyam!
Today’s companion named Claudia, but I didn’t spend the whole day with her, just come and go anytime I want. She went sunbathing and I went riding, give me a nice place to rest when the midday sunheat became too strong.
And finally this is the thing that makes me happy tonight. The hotel! Nhat Thien hotel, located in a small alley near 24/40A Hung Vuong, $10 per night (you can share it for two), bright and clean, AC, wi-fi, hot shower, refrigerator, TV, fan (come on you actually have AC already), king-size bed, and bath equipment (incl’ towel). This is too much for me. And nearby this place, you can find a restaurant selling unique dishes, such as hedgehog and forest civet cat. Tomorrow I will do the sunrise, repack and use this internet facility until my time to check out, and then lie down under the sun until my bus departs. Oh life’s so good!

No comments: